mercoledì 30 novembre 2011

Verona 1 - Transfer 8 - Week 4

November 30, 2011


Dear Family and Friends,

Once again, not much time, but I wanted to share a beautiful miracle that we saw last week!  We have a great member family who hasn't come to church in a while.  They are friends of our family who's preparing for baptism.  We called them last week to set up an appointment, and then had to cancel last minute because my companion was feeling worse.  I felt inspired to invite them to church (even though I was planning on giving them a lesson first), and they CAME!!!!  When they walked in, I didn't even recognize them, but our investigator saw her and gave her a big hug!  It was SO good to see both of them so happy with each other in the house of the Lord.  :)  I hope that they continue this friendship.  It's great to have a friend to live the gospel with.  It's SO important to have friends that build you up.  

I've been so blessed to have great friends in the past, and now I'm enjoying spending time with wonderful companions! You all built me up before the mission. They build me up now.  Living here on Earth would be lonely if we didn't have someone helping us along the way.

I read a great article in an Ensign from 2006, I think.  It was a talk by Elder Ballard (I think) on the Light of Christ.  It was beautiful because EVERYONE is born with this Light of Christ, like a conscience, that helps us choose right from wrong.  As we act on these impressions, we are happier - automatically.  And as we are baptized and receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost, we can have a constant companion or comforter to help us to feel peace in any situation (as long as we are living worthily).  It's all so simple, but I learn it more clearly every day.  I think I'm finally understanding how to recognize promptings, repent daily to be worthy of them, and then act when I'm prompted.  I'm far from perfect at it, and I have to keep working at it every minute to develop the capacity.  But I'm at least starting to understand how it works.

Yes, my companion has still been down this week, so I have read LOTS of Ensigns, Isaiah, New Testament, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants.  I just love the scriptures!  They're written for our day!  

We were teaching a lady last night who teaches catechism... I think that's how it's spelled in English.  She said, "You can interpret the Bible so many different ways... I just teach the kids to keep the commandments."  I wanted to say, "Well, that's why we need the Book of Mormon and living prophets," but we had almost used up the 5 minutes she gave us.  It was beautiful, though, to see the Spirit working on her.  As we left her with Alma 32, she said, "You know, if your church could join up with my church, we could really make the world a better place."  She was smiling, and you could tell she really felt the Spirit - even though she did most of the talking. I'm humbled by the mantle of my calling.  I am an imperfect servant, but the missionary mantle really does carry a Spirit that can light up people's lives.

Everyone has agency.  That's the hard thing.  But of course, that's also wonderful.  We can all CHOOSE eternal life and accept those little promptings that the Spirit gives us.  Following them, even little promptings, always makes us happier.

I love you all, and I continue to pray for you!

Keep the faith!
-Sorella Willey

--
Sorella Willey

Sorella Elizabeth Willey
Missione Italiana di Milano
Via Gramsci, 13/4
20090 Opera MI
ITALIA

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento