mercoledì 1 febbraio 2012

Cuneo - Transfer 10 - Week 1

February 1, 2012

Dear Family and Friends,
 
I am so grateful for this opportunity to serve a mission.  I have been seeing so many blessings in my life, in the lives of others, and sometimes almost feeling like I have a part in it.  It's more that it's having a part in me.  The scriptures have really been coming to life.  Especially the Book of Mormon is beginning to have a greater influence on my everyday life, more than I ever really thought possible. 
 
Last week I wasn't able to write an email.  Maybe nobody missed it.  But in that time, my dear Sorella Oakes was transfered to Varese (where the sisters have never been), and I got a GEM of a companion straight from the MTC!  She is AMAZING!  Her Italian is better than some of the members' here, and much better than mine.  She is so humble, sweet, and easy to get along with, and lets me try out crazy recipes every day.  I also got a fun email from her grandparents (thank you!!!), and found out that her Great Great Grandfather was the settler of Pleasant Grove!  Small world.  I knew we were related somehow.  :)  
 
This week I have started the Book of Mormon again.  I'm still reading in the other 2 places, but I felt like I should start again to read along with some of our investigators whom we have challenged to start and finish the Book of Mormon this year.  I have found that in just the first 5 chapters there are SO many parallels to my life!  Too many to share right now, but I thought I'd at least share a couple of verses that hit me pretty hard. 
 
1 Nephi 5:8 reminds me that whatever the Lord commands me, I can do. He will protect me and my family, and deliver us as promised.
Verse 9 reminds me that in all things I should give thanks.
Then verse 10 inspires me to search the scriptures, thoroughly.
 
The rest of the verses have lots of cool meaning to me, but in verse 20, I had a thought yesterday that really changed my outlook on life. It says, "And it came to pass that thus far I and my father had kept the commmandments wherewith the Lord had commanded us."  I thought about what the Lord had commanded Nephi and Lehi, and realized that it wasn't just to "be nice, help others, etc. etc."  The Lord had a very specific plan for them, and involved so much more than just being good people.  Here was my thought:  Being obedient isn't just doing good things and avoiding sin.  God has a specific and personalized plan for each one of us, and it involves so much more than just passive compliance.  We must actively seek for inspiration by searching the scriptures and words of prophets and leaders so that we can reach all the promised blessings that God has for us personally.
 
Verses 21 and 22 talk about how important the records (or scriptures) were, and particularly it hit me that to reach my "land of promise," I must carry with me (in my heart, mind, actions and scripture case) these inspired words.  God truly speaks to us through these inspired words.  I know that the scriptures are for us.  They are for me, and I love them so much!
 
Well, updates.  Hmmm, the ward is great, and we have really seen them opening up their hearts and homes.  Particularly the new converts are being treated like royalty!  David, a recent convert, brought his mother, Rosy, to church a few weeks ago.  We taught her last week, and she had so many questions.  We kind of taught a round about lesson, trying to answer her questions.  We have been asked to invite people to baptism at their first lesson.   We were a little afraid, and ended up giving her a weak invite to think about baptism.  Then, 3 days later, she came for another lesson.  We had planned to read Alma 32 with her, but the Spirit and her questions said, "Tell her about the Restoration and 1st Vision."  We simply taught the message of the Restoration, and as we finished the 1st vision, she said, "E' vero."  "It's true."  Then we followed it up with an invite to be baptized, and the Spirit testified to her that it was the right thing.  She accepted, and though she said she is not ready to commit to a date yet, she came to church, even though she said she probably couldn't!  Wow!  What a wonderful miracle!
 
There is power when the Spirit is the one teaching, and not us.  We are striving to have Spirit guided lessons, studies, planning, etc.  It is hard, because sometimes we have to make decisions before we get the go ahead from the Spirit.  But we're both really learning how to teach together and invite the Spirit into the work.
 
Thank you all for your letters and support!  I am so happy and blessed to know you!  I love you all!
 
Happy February!
 
Keep the faith,
Sorella Willey
 
 
 
 
--
Sorella Willey

Sorella Elizabeth Willey
Missione Italiana di Milano
Via Gramsci, 13/4
20090 Opera MI
ITALIA

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento