mercoledì 2 febbraio 2011

Milano 1 - Week 3

February 2, 2011

Dear Friends and Family,
So, I guess my memory card isn't compatible with the card reader... photos will have to come later. 
Yikes!  Today we went to see °The Last Supper° and a ballet at °La Scala°   I wouldn't have chosen to do them both on the same day, but the Lisonbees, a missionary couple who are leaving this week, bought us a private tour to °The Last Supper° and we had already planned the ballet (which rarely happens on Wednesday matinee).  I just cried for the first 10 minutes as I heard the orchestra playing.  Yes, I miss music, but I am also having the most incredible week of my life!!!  In the words of my mission president, 'I am not a cellist who is serving a mission, I am a missionary who used to play the cello.'
So, this was BAPTISM WEEK!  Sofia and her mother Paola were baptized and confirmed on Sunday evening, and they bore the purest, sweetest testimony!  I just know that they have been prepared for such a long time, and I had very very very little to do with it.  Yes, I was present for some lessons, and bore my testimony when I could, but the Spirit taught them the most important things.  I was just a very small piece at the edge of the puzzle.  I'm so happy for them to be able to be full-time members and have all the beautiful blessings that come with it!  What a blessing to have been here at this time to witess that miracle!
This week we also taught some gypsies from Romania, an adopted girl from Ethiopia, a return missionary from Peru, an Equadorian gentleman who has lived an incredibly interesting life, a new member from Switzerland who was baptized in Portugal last year, an excommunicated Italian who really wants to be rebaptized, and an Albanian who was taught by missionaries in Albania, but is living in Italy now with his girlfriend.  We also taught some other people, but I thought you all might enjoy the variety of people we come in contact with every day.  We might actually begin teaching a muslim young lady, but I don't know if it can be approved.  The whole time I am teaching, Italian comes more easily.  Then when the lesson is over, and I'm talking to people about 'non gospel-related things' my Italian seems to leave.  I realize that I am learning a lot very quickly, but the Lord gives me the gift of tongues at the most important time, and allows me to swim a little when I don't absolutely need it.  But I am getting to the point where I always get at least the gist of everything.  New words through me off, but I'm sure I'll continue to improve if I keep working at it.
I've been pretty sick this week, but I always get my energy back when I'm teaching.  What a miracle!  The cigarette smoke and smog here is pretty thick, but every once in a while, we get to see a tree, a bit of sky, and even some grass a volte.  I sure wish I could tell you all everything about everything that's happening, but I've got to go.  We have a teaching appointment tonight, and I still have to email the president.  Molto importante!!!
Every minute I get a confirmation that this is where I'm supposed to be!  It's hard work, but every second is worth it when I hear someone pray for the first time, tell me that they feel something warm in their heart, baci me and thank me for sharing the gospel with them, or tell me that they know that we have a living prophet, even though they've never seen or heard him speak!  The power of the Spirit is SO strong, and my life is changed forever!  The hardest thing about every day is that we only get an hour of personal study, and there are SO many scriptures that I just want to feast upon!  They are truly inspired words.  The words of God for us.  I know that the Book of Mormon is true.  I just know it!  It gets truer every time I read from it!  And it might even be truer in Italian...
Have a wonderful week!   Love you all!
Keep the faith,
-Sorella Willey
--
Sorella Willey

Sorella Elizabeth Willey
Via Gramsci, 13/4
20090 Opera MI
ITALIA

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento