lunedì 15 agosto 2011

Verona 1 - Transfer 5 - Week 6

August 10, 2011

Dear Family and Friends,

What an amazing week we've had!!!  I can't even begin to tell all of the miracles that I've seen!  Ok, let's go one person at a time.

Richard.  He came to Italy from Lybia at the end of July, originally from Nigeria, and we met him at the train station.  I think I may have mentioned him before.  But 6 days ago we taught him the word of wisdom, and he committed to stop smoking.  He said, "I will try my personal best."  And yesterday we asked him how he was doing.  He said, "I tried to smoke ONE cigarette on Sunday, and I burned myself.  But that's the only time in this week.  And yesterday my friends threw me a party because I quit smoking.  I don't know if you knew this, but I used to smoke 3 packs every day.  That's 60 cigarettes.  I have tried to quit so many times, but this is the first time it's ever worked.  This burn mark on my arm will always remind me to not smoke.  I don't know how this happened, but I know that I had help."

Then we told him that he had had help from God.  We about fell over backwards when he told us how much he had smoked before, but the Spirit was so strong. It was incredible to see how happy he was!  Then he said, "You know, I've had this conversation before.  Three months ago in a dream.  I remember that I was sitting on a bench with two white girls talking about quitting smoking and drinking.  After I had the dream I tried to go tell my friend, but I forgot before I told him.  I just remembered it."  WOW!  He came to church for the third time in a row this Sunday.  He told us, "I think that the only people I can trust in this world are the people in church."  He really feels the Spirit and loves the people.  We have seen such great changes in him, and he is SOOOO happy now!  We can see his huge smile from a mile away now when we meet him at the bus station, etc.  It's really amazing to see the way that Christ can change people.  Even in such a small amount of time!

Charles!  Oh my, what a great person!  He came to church for the 2nd time in a row, and after only one week of teaching him, we have already taught him all the lessons except for tithing.  He also quit smoking cold turkey, and where he lives, they feed them tea for breakfast, so he doesn't even eat breakfast anymore!  I wish I could make him breakfast everyday, but I can't afford that.  But he also has been reading his Book of Mormon every day.  He marks of "I read" and "I prayed" on his baptismal calendar, and he always comes with questions.  Usually we have to call people the day of appointments to confirm, but now he calls us to remind us about appointments!  He is usually early, and only once he missed an appointment because he lost his phone.  (We usually have people miss 2-3).  But Charles really is growing his testimony.  What a wonderful man of faith.  I just wish I could record all of his cute phrases that he says...  He's got the cutest accent, and he always praises the Lord when by saying "Amen!  God is great!  I love your teaching! or Wow! (half whispered, blinking his eyes violently).  And remind me when I get back to say "Jerusalem" with his awesome accent!

Last Sunday, we also had a couple visiting from Australia (originally from Armenia) who came to church in our ward because they were on vacation.  In Verona we get that a lot.  People from all countries come here to see Juliet's balcony, tomb, house, all the castles, beautiful sights, etc. etc. etc. etc.  This couple really loved the sacrament meeting and hearing all the Italians bear testimony (Sorella Smith and I translate into English for visitors and English speaking investigators each week). Rita, the wife, bore her testimony in English, and I translated into Italian at the pulpit--- that was scary.  But we talked after, and it seemed like we'd met before. That night, we had a musical fireside and we invited them to it.  They brought a couple of friends from Trento who had never been to a Mormon church before, and they LOVED it!  We had 5 ward members step in in the last minute and play violin, viola, guitar, piano, and the first counsellor in the bishopric surprised us with his operatic rendition of Bizet's "Agnus Dei."  It was amazing!  We had planned on a member from Bergamo bringing a cello, but there was a miscommunication, so I ended up singing Marshall MacDonald's version of "Hie to Kolob" with a pianist from the ward, and my companion and I sang a couple of duets... we both made up words to Kolob and Bach's "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring."  Our ward mission leader, Fratello Luigi Peloni, who used to be an area seventy here in Italy, bore his testimony in Italian and in English, and other missionaries and ward members shared beautiful testimonies.  Charles and Richard had members translating for them, and all were uplifted by the Spirit of the music and testimony.  

The longer I'm here, the more I realize how little everything has to do with me and how everything good that happens is successful because the Lord provided a way.  I have learned a lot this week about becoming "clay in the Potter's hands" and "an instrument in His hands."  The more I try to do my will, the harder it is for Him to work with me and do His will.  I just have to sacrifice my will, and do His work the way He wants me to do it.

Speaking of His will, my dear, dear, sweet, lovely Sorella Smith is being transfered!!!  NOOOOOO!!!!!!!  I was hoping we'd get at least 2 transfers together!  :(  She has been such a GEM, and I will miss her terribly!  I am happy to be able to remain in Verona for another 6 weeks, and very excited to meet Sorella Cazier, but Sorella Smith has left an impression in my heart.  My oh my, how time flies.

Today is my official 9-Months anniversary!  That's SCARISSIMO!!!  Yes, I will take a pregnant picture, for those of you wondering, and yes, we bought gelato to celebrate.  I love this mission, and I hope that the 2nd half doesn't go nearly as fast as the 1st, but I also want to recommitt to be stronger, more obedient, and more willing to sacrifice my will.  

I have fallen in love with the scriptures.  Maybe I shared that before...  But I am reading each morning from each of the "testaments."  Right now I'm in Isaiah 43, Acts 1, Jacob 7, and D&C 36. Personal study just isn't long enough!  The more I read in the scriptures, the more I realize that they're all so connected and all the word of God.  

Anywho, now I'm getting all carried away.  Sorella Smith needs to pack, and I need to send a letter to the president... But hugs and kisses to all of you!  Thank you again for your personal notes, and I apologize again that I can't respond to each one.  But consider yourself hugged, and I'll keep praying for you if you keep praying for me!  And if you don't, I'll still pray for you!  You are all so dear to me, and someday I'll get to give you all real hugs again!  In about 9 months time, actually.  ;)  Thank you for your news and updates!  And as always, thank you for your support and friendship!

Have a wonderful week, and keep the faith!

Love always,
-Sorella Willey

P.S.  Photos are:

1. We had 2 copie of sorelle visit from Reggio and Modena last week for P'day and took a picture on the wall of Castel Vecchio.
2. My district here and Owen-  AWESOME new convert from Nigeria

DSCI0123.JPGDSCI0274.JPG
























-- 
Sorella Willey

Sorella Elizabeth Willey
Missione Italiana di Milano
Via Gramsci, 13/4
20090 Opera MI
ITALIA

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento