mercoledì 31 agosto 2011

Verona 1 - Transfer 6 - Week 3

Dear Family and Friends,

Here we are again at P-day!  This time is just flying by!  Miracles to report, hmm... too many to count.  But Charles got baptized, and he was SO happy!  He has been going to lessons with the Anziani and coming to ours, and he never stops bearing his testimony!  He brought another friend, Michael, to his baptism, and now we are teaching him and preparing him for baptsim in September!  It's crazy that we are working with over 12 people right now, and all of them could be baptized this transfer if they just could get all their situations worked out.  It's amazing to see how fast the truly prepared people accept baptism and all of the commandments.  Charles, Alex, and Michael (see picture No. 2) all accepted the baptismal invite almost before we finished inviting them.  Alex, 26 year old, said it would be very hard to accept the Word of Wisdom because he so much loves wine.  He said he needed to go home and pray about it.  Then the next day, he said, "I so much need to quit" and agreed to, from that moment on, always live the Word of Wisdom.  He said, "I so much love the commandments because they make me happy."  For those three, coffee and tea are difficult becuase where they live that's all they are served for breakfast.  I wonder if I would have that kind of faith if I were in their situation.

Another miracle was that we set a goal to have 10 investigators in church this past Sunday.  In Italy, people are usually pretty satisfied to get 2 or 3 in church, but we felt that we could set this goal and had the faith to do everything possible to achieve it.  Saturday night, after a lesson, a mother in one of our families pretty much dropped us.  She said she wouldn't see us the next day because she didn't want us to lose or waist time.  
We prayed that night in companionship prayer that they would come to church anyway, and 30 minutes later, she called and said that they wanted come to church.  She said that she felt it was more important for her to forget her personal problems so that her family could be blessed by the obviously true gospel.  Then they came the next morning.  Prayers really are answered!  I knew that before, but it really seems that here on the mission it all happens 10x's faster.   This Sunday we had 11 investigators in church!   Obviously numbers aren't really the important part.  It's all about the people.  And that is one of our goals as missionaries, to make the people more important than the numbers, but keep track of them with numbers and have people to back up all of the numbers.  So numbers are important, but only because God loves ALL of His children, and in order to keep track, we humans need to use numbers.  :)

So, I finished Isaiah this morning, and I realized that I have a new favorite scriptorian/prophet.  It's truly amazing how he can write something 2600+ years ago, and it can apply directly to me, my life, my mission, and my future.  And all the punishment of the wicked aside (which makes me REALLY want to be one of the righteous at the last day), he wrote the most beautiful dedica to our Saviour Jesus Christ, some of the most elaborate metaphors and imagery I've ever read, and truly comforting words that have upheld and strengthened me before, but especially during this mission.  He makes it clear that God, our Heavenly Father, and His Son, Jesus Christ, really are in charge.  That they truly love us, and that no matter what happens, as long as we continue to turn to them, sharing the gospel with all we can, they will take care of us.

One of the verses that really speaks to me (and this image comes up a few times throughout Isaiah) is in chapter 64, verse 8.  It says, "But now, O Lord, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand."  I really feel like clay out here in Italy.  He shows me what he wants me to be, and then I have to be moldable enough for Him to work with.  Sometimes it hurts a little.  Sometimes I have to give up things that seemed really important to me.  And then I read words like, "As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you," and "Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for the Lord shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended," and "For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the convenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee . . . In righteousness shalt thou be established: thou shalt be far from oppression; for thou shalt not fear: and from terror; for it shall not come near thee . . . Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work."

I really feel that the Lord is using me now as an "instrument for His work."   I'm far from worthy of it, but I'm doing my best to keep up with the challenges.  He supports me from day to day, and I know that it is because He has children who need the Gospel here.  He truly loves ALL of his children!  And that means all of you too!  Count your blessings, and say a prayer of gratitude today!  If you are having trials that you don't think you can handle, just know that He has suffered it all so that He may know "how to succor his people according to their infirmities."   He has helped me in my trials, and I know that He will help you too!

Thank you all again for your letters, your kind words, your support in every manner, and most of all your friendship and love over the years!

I love you!

Keep the faith!
-Sorella Willey

Pictures:
1. A door in our apartment... no handle.  And yes, that is the kitchen in the background.  It isn't quite wide enough for the door frame.  ;)
2. Michael, Charles, and Alex at the baptism
3. Slla Willey, Charles, and Slla Cazier



-- 
Sorella Willey

Sorella Elizabeth Willey
Missione Italiana di Milano
Via Gramsci, 13/4
20090 Opera MI
ITALIA

DSCI0382.JPG
DSCI0388.JPG
DSCI0405.JPG







Nessun commento:

Posta un commento